Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bifrenaria Harrisoniae

The label that came with the plant was says "Div 6-13 (From Geoffrey Beene)". According to this Forbes article, THE fashion designer Geoffrey Beene was an avid orchid collector with 2,000+ plants in 3 greenhouses in Long Island as well as a separate collection in Hawaii. This plant almost certainly came from his collection!  My orchid is part of the Kevin Bacon, or in this case Geoffrey Beene, six degrees of separation phenomenon. Beene passed away in 2004. I wonder what became a part of the other 1,999 orchids that I don't have. 

Native to the mountains of Brazil. HUGE gorgeous leaves and frequent growths, but has yet to bloom for me. To be fair, I have yet to repot this ridiculously huge and overgrown specimen since acquiring it from the 2013 GNYOS Semi-Annual Auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment