Monday, April 7, 2014

(Laelia Purpurata x Cattleya intermedia coerulea) x Myrmecophila tibicinis

After a local wedding, I trekked over to St Pete’s Orchid Farm, St. Petersburg Florida in April 2014 to acquire my latest Google obsession: 
Myrmecophila tibicinis. However, coming face to face with a 4 foot flower spike woke me up to the realities of growing in a NYC apartment. 
While browsing a bareroot division bin, I noticed a diminutive plant sporting new growths and a nearly 4 foot name: 
(Laelia Purpurata x Cattleya intermedia coerulea) x Schomburgkia tibicinis. 
The magic words Schomburgkia tibicinis were irresistable, and the plant had to come home with me. It happily grew and grew and grew... 
Then somehow started dying. In a futile attempt, I cut off all nasty looking bits, repotted it in an air basket, and left it for dead in a sunless 
corner of the room. Last week... It surprised me with 4 fatty roots and a new growth crawling out from a stunted mass of dead bulbs. I 
chopped the dead bulbs out, bathed it in Physan 20, and now... I wait for the outcome. I reiterate.... I haven't lost anyone... Yet!

Another rename...Schomburgkia is the old name for Myrmecophila. The tag did not inform me of what the Nothogenus should be, 
if one exists. SO, I've invented my own for now... MyLaelioCattleya.  

No comments:

Post a Comment