Saturday, April 12, 2014

Gastrochilus Retrocallus



Water: Mounted: Drench entire specimen whenever moss is dry. Potted: every 2-3 days
Humidity: High
Fertilizer: 20-20-20
Temperature: day: 70-80°F ; night: 10-15°F cooler
Light: mid-level light
Air: Mounted specimen allows easy airflow.
Flowering: Reportedly fragrant. I have not caught any scents from my specimen yet.
Repotting: Mounted is best; Pot: medium fir bark or sphagnum moss

This orchid has been undergoing an identity crisis. According to the February 2014 Genera Orchidacearum, this is now a Retrocalla. You might know it as Haraella retrocalla or Haraella odorata.

This native of Taiwan (my genetic motherland!) is another old faithful of a flower with constant eruptions of another bud behind every bloom. Mounted on a stick with moss affixed with fishing line.  I acquired my original stick mounted beauty at the 2013 GNYOS Orchid Auction (see pictures below). I since gifted that specimen to cousin Ben who owns a bright green thumb. However, he is an orchid neophyte. The ease of care and high yield rewards of this specimen made it a perfect starter orchid for him. Despite the joy of sharing, I felt a huge void in my collection and would not rest until I acquired another specimen from Andy's Orchids of Encinatas, CA at the Philadelphia Orchid Show in April 2014. 

Lives at elevations of 1000-2200m. 




Other References: https://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=397



No comments:

Post a Comment